Thursday, December 31, 2009

Why are people so bad at giving advice? Does anyone else agree?

It seems that 99% of the population are totally lousy at giving advice. I've experienced this in real life and on here too. I'm 19 years old and peoples answer for every problem I have is ';you're young';. That's not only the biggest cop-out I've ever heard, but the least helpful and most belittling thing you can say to a 'young' person having a hard time. Another clich茅 I'm struggling with is ';it'll be okay'; or ';everything will work out';. How do you KNOW that? What if it doesn't?! Things aren't always that easy, but we brush those things under the rug and continue to say endlessly ';it'll be okay';. Why aren't we just honest with the advice we give?Why are people so bad at giving advice? Does anyone else agree?
Often the person seeking advice wants only a sympathetic ear. The person then has a clearer understanding of his own problem, and that was really all he wanted anyways.Why are people so bad at giving advice? Does anyone else agree?
I know how you feel, but I completely understand it. It's hard to actually be helpful.





But it's probably partly your fault as well - you'll argue with all evidence and basically state you know better... Which begs the question of why you're asking advice (I'm guilty of this myself.)





However, they're probably right in saying it will work out. As the problem passes (one way or another they all pass) you'll gain new perspective on it. What's a mountain today may be a mere molehill tomorrow.
If someone asks me my opinion and I know that they can handle the truth, I will be straight forward with them. But most people are afraid to tell it like it is in fear of offending or upsetting someone, so they just give the trivial answers such as ';It will all work out';, etc.





You want my opinion on something.... I will give you how it is! LOL
Just honest?! W.e....
Well, glad u got that off your chest. But here's my two cents worth. Firstly, people judge by what did them or someone they know or heard about, and not on your esoteric needs or circumstance. When people do this it's called egocentricity. Take the eg. of abortion, a big big issue. I certainly wouldn't tell a non family member what they should or shouldn't do even though I have strong feelings on it. Society isn't built around my beliefs. When it's closer to home my personal bias comes in.





The statement your young I don't know what to make of, as I'm certain there are situations where this applies and others where it doesn't. Why do we have age of consent laws for eg.?





So, there you go. The world as Dale sees it..lol. I sincerely hope this gives you a more understanding point of view. Ciao and good luck.
May I ask where you quote anywhere close to the fact of 99%of the population from? Even ';seems'; seems like more where your coming from than a fact. We have colleges devoted to training just such people who feel this calling as their life's work. But you get what you *pay for*. Unless there is a government program to cover the cost.


If you go to regular people your going to get safe answers, they've been or have seen someone get burned.


Even those who's job it is to get paid and help, have lots of insurance to cover their butt from things that go wrong.


You can give someone just the right answer, and they murder you and their own family for it.


If you want proper help, buy your ticket, and take the ride. Otherwise take your chances on the 99% you think you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment