Saturday, January 23, 2010

Is Soy formula good or bad? I need help & advice!?

i already tried to post this once and it said it did but it wasnt posted anywhere so here goes a 2nd try








I am open to all types of criticism except the breastfeeding is best one. My son might or might not have a slight allergy to milk (he threw up blood on a milk based formula- however now they believe that was due to the severe case of Acid Reflux that he has, not any intolerance to milk). We had put him back on Soy from Alimentum, and he is doing really well with it...barely spitting up. However, the doctor said that many people do not like putting babies on Soy formula anymore and that she wants him to try Nutramigin first (he still spits up too much on the alimentum even though we are thickening his formula with rice cereal for the reflux) and then maybe in 6 months try a milk based to see how he does. Because of the reflux he has been through so many formulas and I think he tolerates the soy the best, however she is reluctant to it.





I was wondering what people have seen as negatives and positives of soy formula and their experiences with the Soy, Nutramigin or Alimentum? Also, in your opinion, what do you think I should do? I figured getting people's opinions on Soy would be a good method of research (as well as my own research on credible sources of the pros and cons of soy, as i do not know much about Soy in the first place).





As of right now, he is currently taking anywhere from 3 to 4 ounces of Soy formula with 2 tablespoons of rice cereal in a 4 ounce bottle. No that is not too much cereal, it is just enough to keep it down- like i said, the reflux is severe.





And please, no breastfeeding is best comments, he was breastfed for 3 weeks until I had to start taking medicine and they were under the impression he had a milk allergy to the dairy i was eating, again turned out to be the reflux.


Is Soy formula good or bad? I need help %26amp; advice!?
By accident I opened the free sample of Soy formula so I feed it to her for the first week. Stopped BF at 3 weeks and tried formula. She was so fussy and had horrible smelly gas and constipated. I called the doc and she said to switch her to milk based formula. I tried Enfamil Lipil. It made the situation better. I then switched to Enfamil Gentlease. Things have been great with the Enfamil Gentlease. The dr. said she usually tells parents to give the baby soy based formula when the baby is sick with diarrhea because the soy will usually firm up the bowel movements. Also she said to stick with the same formula for a week before trying something different; give the baby time to adjust.





I have now switched to the generic Sams Choice that is the same as Enfamil Gentlease. It is all regulated by the FDA. She loves it!!!


Is Soy formula good or bad? I need help %26amp; advice!?
The reason why doctors are reluctant to stay with soy is because the proteins to not breakdown as easily. Basically the protein/iron intake is not a good as other formulas. This is why it is used as a last resort.





I went through this with my son. We tried every single formula out there and the only one that would work was the soy. He is growing normally and surpassing his twin sister's weight.
My son had all kinds of formulas. Extremely fussy and had diarrhea with regular formula. He was tried on Lactose-free, did better, but still very fussy. Tried Alimentum, He would not drink it. Switched to Soy formula, Not as fussy , but got very constipated. Now is on Nutrimigen, doing great, took some time for him to get used to the taste, but doing very well. I say try as many as you need to, until you find the right one.
I have used both soy and Nutramigen for my kids (in addition to breastfeeding them exclusively for the first 6-8 mos) and for my youngest daughter who was allergic to both soy and dairy - Nutramigen was a Godsend! Many in the family have used it after problems with other formulas and my nephews who had reflux issues.


I would give it a try - it can't hurt! Good Luck!
i was only able to breastfeed for about 4 weeks because i have a hard time keeping my milk supply and i tried many different brands and types of formulas with my son but they all had a bad reactions with him one way or another so i tried soy formula and it is the only thing he was able to handle ok. i dont know much about the pros and cons but my baby had to get fed and thats the only formula that worked for him so thats what i give him!
Not a whole lot of difference between Nutramigin %26amp; Alimentum... they are both equally for babies with allergies or intolerence. Easier on babies fussy tummies...





Soy formula has just as much nutrients as any other formula - whatever you have them on, they will be getting what they need. Soy wouldnt be on the market if it was unfit for babies. As long as he is gaining the correct amount of weight and not vomiting large amounts also pooping/ peeing correct amounts.. he'll be fine.








my daughter was on Alimentum for about a year... then we switched her into the regular formula. she grew out of whatever she had wrong at the beginning.





Do whatever works. Soy is perfectly fine. But listen to your Dr. ... if you are unsure, get a 2nd opinion from another dr. or pediatrition. or nurse.... more info always helps.





good luck.
I used milk-based formula with my first 2 babies and they were fussy and gassy - a lot. My third son started out the same way, so I decided to try soy. He is now 10 1/2 months and has been the most contented of all my babies! I am so glad I chose soy.





In an ideal world, it works to line up all the choices and make sweeping judgments about what is 'best', but in real life, what is best for every baby is different. If your baby growing and happy, then the choice you have made is the best one. . . for him. Don't be afraid to try other options like Nutramigin, if you want to. Keep making informed choices, but at the end of the day, be confident in the choice you've made for your baby and just enjoy him! Good luck!
I hope you are aware that you can relactate. If you choose not to that's fine. But many women are unaware of how easy it is for some. If you need help assessing medication safety:


http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/ht鈥?/a>


http://safefetus.com/Search.asp


http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp











Soy formula may inhibit intestinal development in babies


http://nutraingredients.com/news/news-ng鈥?/a>





Concerns raised about soy infant formula


http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/1999/06/0鈥?/a>





Soy Infant Formula - Better than Breastmilk?


http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/infant.h鈥?/a>





Soy Infant Formula Dangerous to Babies, Say Groups


http://www.life.ca/nl/68/formula.html





Study Examines Long-Term Health Effects of Soy Infant Formula


http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/ja鈥?/a>









No comments:

Post a Comment