Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gerbil advice please is this bad!?

I had introduced a 7 month old female to an adult male smoothly but now the female is only just over 2 months and the male is suddenly mounting her a lot! And he's not scent marking her because he checks himself every time. She's not resisting at all and I saw her check herself a couple times which means the deed is done, right? Is this going to turn out horrible? He's twice her size and it's too late for me to stop it! I've split their cage momentarily; should I let them back together again? I've never had a situation like this :(Gerbil advice please is this bad!?
Your female is going to have babies. Keep them separate from now on. You should be able to keep the females with her after they're grown, but might have to purchase a 3rd cage for the boys. Sometimes the adult male will be OK living with his sons and sometimes he'll reject them. Take it slow and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment